Friday, May 9, 2014

Queen Regina - In Search of Fabric

Those of you who follow me on Instagram got a peek yesterday at what my next commission is: Queen Regina's Black/Purple/Blue gown with crazy silver embellishment. Right now my client and I are in the midst of trying to track down the perfect fabric for it - which is hard because finding a black brocade with purple, blue and silver is proving to be a Herculean task. From what I can discover, the fabric used in the show has been discontinued. We're exploring other options and I've contacted a few other cosplayers to see if I can get any ideas.

Meanwhile I'm researching to see what others have done with this dress. It's pretty cool to see how many replicas have already been made!


This amazing dress by Firefly Path is perhaps the most awesome one I've seen thus far. They were lucky enough to get the last of the official fabric!


Here is the same dress worn by cosplayer Jacky Brodhead, on Greenhouse Photography's DeviantArt page. I'm drooling. Whoops. *wipes off keyboard*


Photographed by CJ Newman, and created by Cavalyn, this is another stunning piece with amazing embroidery details. Looks like she found a pretty good fabric as well!


The fabric for AmazonMandy's dress was handpainted. WOW.


Here we have a simpler version of this dress, by Bobauna Cosplay.


And here is another simplified version by Cristina Petrini.

So that's what we've got for now, folks. I'll keep you updated on what we decide to do for fabric. At least my new embroidery machine is an option for helping out color-wise.

3 comments:

KAYRAISABELLA said...

It's such a beautiful gown!

Elora Shore said...

Those are very impressive! Especially the top one. Wouldn't mind one of my own...that would be interesting.

Anonymous said...

I am losing my mind trying to find this fabric. And yes, it has been discontinued. There's nothing like it out there right now. Grrr...